Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sponging

Sponging is one of my favorite techniques.  Sometimes I find a little sponging can finish off a card just right when it needs "a little something".  Its a great technique for sunsets, sunrises and skies in general - especially if you're not comfortable with a brayer.  And it can really soften a card that is otherwise too bright, too plain or too bold.


Yesterday I posted a card that used sponging and it made me think of another card I made awhile back.  This one looked OK until I went overboard with the gel pen.  My problem is I see other amazing artists (like Michelle Zindorf) and I try to pretend I'm talented like that.  I was really enjoying the sunset effect, even if it is a little harsh and then I had to ruin it with that gel pen. The white gel pen is one of my most favorite accessories, but this is a good example of what not to do.

Supplies:  Inspired By Nature stamp set; Chocolate Chip Cardstock, Whisper White Cardstock; Chocolate Chip Classic Ink; Summer Sun Classic Ink; Pumpkin Pie Classic Ink; Dusty Durango Classic Ink; Sponges, Post-It Notes; White Gel Pen.


I also made this card below at one of Terry Bolender's stamp camps recently.  It has light sponging around the main image.  Its very subtle, but I love the feel it gives to the card.



Supplies:  Wandering Words Stamp Set; Very Vanilla, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black, Close to Cocoa Cardstock; Basic Black Classic Ink; Pumpkin Pie, Ruby Red, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip Stampin' Write Markers; Basic Black 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon; Vanilla Ribbon Slide; Big Shot Machine; Backgrounds 1 Texture Plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment